I still have this idea of myself that I voraciously devour books. But to be quite honest, while I’m still a great book lover, I’m reading fewer and fewer each year. This has everything to do with the long hours I’m putting in at work, more time spent on running and fitness related activities, and the fact that my books are split between my nightstands in Bremen and Berlin.
Read in 2012
In any case, I read six books in 2012 (as compared to eight in 2011). But given that one of them took me half a year to finish, it doesn’t really bother me My favorites out of this bunch were When They Come For Us, We’ll Be Gone and Cloud Atlas.
- Runner’s World Run Less, Run Faster by Bill Pierce — My Review
- 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami — My Review
- The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande
- When They Come for Us, We’ll Be Gone by Gal Beckerman — My Review
- The End of Illness by David B. Agus — My Review
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell — My Review
To Read in 2013
As far as 2013 goes, I have an impossibly long list of books I’d love to read, but these nine are at the very top. (Two were on last year‘s list too.) I’m really excited about all of them, so it’ll be hard to choose where to start first!
- Eine Frau in Berlin by Anonyma (currently reading)
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel
- Silent House by Orhan Pamuk
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- The Emperor of All Maladies: The Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie
- In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto by Michael Pollan
- Pox: An American History by Michael Willrich
- Desdemona by Toni Morrison
What were your favorite books this year? Do you have any must-reads for the coming year?